This document is maintained by hand. Every so often one of the devs does a
git cherry -v upstream/1.6.0-beta-6 master or
git cherry -v upstream/release/1.6.0-beta-5 upstream/release/1.6.0-beta-6 and
makes sure the document is updated.
Version 1.6.0-beta-6 to 1.6.0-beta-7
- VST3 Host
- The VST3 Host was substantially improved in this version
- Support note velocity, pitch bend, midi controllers, modulation, and MPE
- Support DAW automation correctly
- Show parameter names correctly on Mac
- Mono voices no longer have stuck or mistuned notes
- Menu allows setting of mpe pitchbend
- 5 factory patches in the MPE folder
- Wavetables and Effects
- Add three wavetable packs from user layzer; “vocals” “PPG” and “morph”
- Users can place their own .wt Wavetables in subdirectories in their User Data Folder and see them in the wavetable menu once surge restarts (macOS: “~/Documents/Surge/wavetables”)
- Third party wavetables are now present at Factory Data Folder (macOS: “/Library/Application Support/Surge/wavetables_3rdparty/”)
- Implement a python script to create and explode .wt files
- Add an “Init” setting for each effect type
- Take the chorus effects from “Delay/Chorus” and move them to “Chorus”; rename “Delay/Chorus” to “Delay”
- User Interface
- Fix a problem with flickering in the Effects area
- Fix elements which would dissapear on Linux in modulation mode
- Update LFO TempoSync labels to include 1/128 and 1/256th notes
- Both right and left button show wavetable menus
- Fix the FM2 labels (it was previosly labeled “FM3”)
- Change WaveTable “Shape” parameter label to “Morph”
- Set Controller To… -context menu now accurately shows CC#0 - CC#127 and is split by 20s
- Fix a VST zoom problem where repeated zoom in and out could make the surge “walk” inside the frame
- About menu now lets you open a Finder / Explorer for “Open User Data Folder” & “Open Factory Data Folder”
- Make the about screen use Lato font
- Supress the ctrl-click-reset gesture in LFO (which meant ctrl-click in step sequencer lost changes)
- Other Changes
- Rename 32 bit surge dll “Surge_x86” on windows to avoid conflicts
- Move the AU to the same zoom implementation as the VSTs
- Add a headless app which plays all patches; build it with cmake
- “OK/Cancel” dialog Linux (unimplemented) defaults to OK, allowing for patch overrides
- Fix a problem where locales which didn’t use “.” as a decimal separator could not parse Surge patches
- Update to developer documentation and some build tools
Version 1.6.0-beta-5 to 1.6.0-beta-6
- Fix a major bug with font loading on Windows which would lock resources and hang some systems
- Implement scrollwheel for all slider controls
- Sub-folders for EFX Presets
- Added the Arty Distortion pack (9 distortion preset FX)
- Added the Arty Reverb pack (4 reverb preset FX)
- Added the Arty Delay pack (11 delay preset FX)
- Use Lato on linux as well as mac and win
- Slow down modulation blink time on Linux
- Only Shift is used to do swipe moves on sliders
- Shift-swipe moves dismiss popup properly
Up to version 1.6.0-beta-5
- macOS: 64-bit AudioUnit, VST2, VST3 can be compiled, built and run.
- Windows: 64-bit VST2, VST3 can be compiled, built and run.
- Windows: 32-bit VST2, VST3 can be compiled, built and run.
- Linux: 64-bit VST2 can be compiled, built, and run.
- Packager (as .msi, .dmg/.pkg, and .deb respectively) for all three operating systems
Presets and Waves
- Sub-folders in patches become sub-categories in menus.
- Certain presets would glitch when multiple notes were played, these clicks and pops no longer happen.
- Drag’n’drop of wavetable (.wt) to now works
- Drag’n’drop of wavefile (.wav) to Surge now shoots an error instead of crashing
- Preset and WaveTable subfolders are now sorted alphabetically instead of randomly.
- Loading of presets works
- Wavetable loading improved (all extensions capitalisation supported: .wt, .WT, .Wt, .wT - no longer only .wt and others ignored)
- Pressing +/- next to Patch will select the next (not the 31th) and the previous patch accurately.
- Pressing +/- next to Category will select the next (not random) and the previous category accurately
- Wavetable Next/Previous arrows work accurately and allow for scanning through each and every wavetable in the wavetables-folder.
- Switching patches no longer crashes
- Storing of patches works - if you write on Name and click on Category - the Name no longer reverts to”previous name”. Same with Category, Creator, Comment.
- If you try to overwrite a patch that already exists, you will get an informative prompt to the tone of “this preset x already exists, are you sure?” (Mac and Win).
- You can no longer save a preset with no name.
- You can no longer save a preset into a category with no name.
- Right-clicking on preset name will show all presets in that category.
- Checkmarks added to Category and Preset (showing Category and selected Preset)
- Checkmarks added to Wavetable (showing folder + selected wavetable)
- Surge supports a zoomable UI on all platforms
- You can now use + / -, cmd+ / cmd- to Zoom the interface
- Classic Surge Skin has been re-done to be 1:1 but clearer and higher resolution bitmaps (less pixelation)
- VSTGui Scaling bugs fixed
- Maximum zoom, minimum zoom
- Zoom, resize menu positioning issues fixed for Linux
- LFO Waveform is displayed correctly
- Wavetable is displayed correctly
- All menus are correctly implemented
- Modulation names can be accurately renamed (Mac and Win)
- If you bind more than one parameter into a modulation, and remove the first parameter, the Modulation box updates to the correct parameter-name (Bind Cutoff, Bind Resonance, Remove Cutoff = Modulation box no longer says “Cutoff”).
- If you Clear All binds from a Modulation box (Bind Cutoff, Clear All) - the Modulation box updates to “-“, no longer stays as “Cutoff” even with no bind.
- Polyphony count was inaccurate and updated only when the area was clicked, now updates in real time.
- Polyphony count does not fluctuate while notes are being played
- Use Lato -font for macOS + Windows
- Umlauts ä/ö/å are correctly displayed in folder names.
- Surge now uses a VST3SDK VSTGUI with additional fixes
- VST2 / AudioUnit automation (bind parameters to DAW) learning works accurately (no longer spews forth a correct parameter and a wrong one)
- Added the inigo_kennedy_03 pack (31 presets)
- Added the Nick Moritz pack (85 presets)
- Added the Zoozither 2 pack (40 presets)
- Added the Layzer Vocal pack (32 wavetables)
- New Website created at http://surge-synthesizer.github.io
- 1.6.0 Manual has been converted from PDF to HTML - available at http://surge-synthesizer.github.io/manual
- Scene Highpass has been set to 6.875Hz instead of the default 50Hz
- Typos fixed: EFX presets used to be called Rhytmic, renamed to Rhythmic
- UTF8 paths supported for wavetables
- No longer crash if installation if faulty, also warn loudly if installation is faulty
- Linux screensize detection sets zoom bounds properly
- More accurate FX sorting and correction of typos in FX names